Monday, January 25, 2010

"Missionary Splits"

Dear Family and Friends,

It’s been a wonderful, and busy week in Izumi. Last Monday morning we got a call from our zone leaders, who said we were going to have a split with the Kamisugi sisters—where we trade companions for the day! The elders go on “splits” with the district leader every transfer, but the sisters don’t usually get to do them. The Kamisugi shimaitachi (sisters) came to Izumi Friday, and stayed until Saturday. It was a lot of work to prepare for but well worth it! I was able to teach a mogi lesson and go housing both with Kouzawa Shimai and Morikoshi Shimai (both from Japan). I learned a lot from their different approaches, as well as how I can improve my teaching and finding!

The split was just what Yoneda Shimai and I needed! In the 24 hours altogether we found 11 potential investigators, which is a lot! I think that most of all our faith was strengthened-that there are people here willing to hear the gospel.

This past week especially, I’ve had opportunities to open my mouth and share my testimony-with members, less actives, and non-members alike! I still can’t say a lot of things in Japanese, but I am so grateful for the opportunities I’ve had to bear my testimony and to feel the Spirit confirm what I am saying. During the spiritual thought at the end of our Eikaiwa (English) class on Saturday we taught about prophets. I was able to talk about how we have a prophet today, like Moses of old. I felt the Spirit strongly as I bore witness of it. How wonderful it is that we have a prophet, and how important it is to follow His teachings!

Yesterday night Yoneda Shimai and I felt like we should change our plans and go to a different area to deliver a “Families Can Be Forever” video to one of our investigators. She wasn’t home, but at the nearby place we housed at, we met an 89 year old grandfather who looked and seemed like he was in his 70’s! He told us how he had seen gygiene (foreign) missionaries before but hadn’t had the chance to talk to them. He lives by himself- his wife and only child had passed away; he told us how lonely he is sometimes! We testified of the atonement, and how our knowledge of and faith in Jesus Christ has helped us through our hard times. Murakami san, before we could ask him if he wanted to learn more, asked us if we had a pamphlet about it, where the church was, and if he could learn more about it! We have an appointment with him tomorrow at the church, where we’ll teach him Lesson 2, the Plan of Salvation, with the Izumi elders. We’re excited to teach him about how he can be with his deceased family again and forever. This is God’s merciful plan to His children!

Thanks everyone for your love, support and prayers. I love all of you so much!

Love,
Swain Shimai

Birthday party for recent convert, Brother Onodera

No comments:

Post a Comment