Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Danielle's 2nd Week

Dear Family and Friends,

It's been a wonderfully busy last week here at the MTC. Today was exciting--my companion had same-day surgery at the Utah Valley Medical Center, so we got to "wear our name-tags" out into the real world! Nope, I didn't watch Sponge Bob like Todd did but I did get some good studying in. The surgery went well, and my companion is feeling better!

My daily schedule includes waking up at least by 6:30 (usually earlier so I can be ready on time), class/breakfast, then three blocks, 2-3 hours each, of class during the day. Two of the blocks are with two different teachers our district is assigned, and the other block is called "MDT," where we have personal study, companionship study, and language study (each for about an hour). On Preparation days (Tuesdays) we get to go to the temple, do laundry, and later in the evening hear from a general authority at a devotional! We also have a Sunday night fireside with super good speakers--MTC Pres, etc. I think this past Sunday was one of my favorite days because we had Relief Society with all the sister missionaries--it was the first time I was in a room where girls were in the majority! I also practiced a musical number on my violin--this Thursday I'm going to audition to play in a Sunday devotional. It was wonderful to play my violin again.

I don't know that I have a favorite MTC food yet...but I'll let you know when I do! And I was dissapointed to find out that we don't use chopsticks in the cafeteria (unless you bring your own), but I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to practice once I get to Japan! Thanks mom and becca for the amazing package--those cookies were AMAZING, and the other sisters in my room appreciated them as well:). I actually didn't end up getting the rice pudding...they'd taken it out b/c we're not allowed to recieve perishables...but the thought sure made my day!!

Yes, we sing out of the Japanese Hymn book at the beginning of each class every day (several times a day) and in church. I'm getting better at reading Hiragana, and I've been practicing writing it--I'm still a little slow at writing it but am getting better. I'm on the top of a bunk bed, with my companion below me. The other sisters in my room are part of another district--there are 4 of them, going to English speaking missions--they actually leave tommorow! So soon I will have new roommates! This past week has flown--classes and everything. I still have so much Japanese to learn! Both of the teachers assigned to our district have been out of town--one for 1 week, and the other will be gone for 3 weeks! It's been crazy having substitute teachers--we've had 9 now! But we've learned a lot from their different teaching styles. In addition to learning Japanese, we spend a lot of time learning how to teach in English--because if we can't do it in English, we won't be able to do it in Japanese! I've loved it and have learned so much already.

I've been a bit sick this past week--just a cold that practically everyone gets at one point at the MTC. So dad, if you get a bill in the mail don't worry:). The doctor gave me an antibiotic to help with the coughing. But really, I don't feel that bad--the Lord is strengthening me to still keep up in class and do what I need too! And I think I'm over the worst of it.It looks like my time's about up! I love all of you, and hope all's well! Missionary work is amazing!

Love,
Swain Shimai

No comments:

Post a Comment